Minor variations to building consents: Guidance on definition, assessment and granting
- Valid from
- Information provider
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Information type
- Section 175 guidance
If you want to make a small change to your building consent, ask your council if you can make a minor variation rather follow the formal amendment process.
This guidance is to help councils, builders, designers and project managers understand:
- the legislation that provides for minor variations to building consents
- how to define minor variations in practice
- how councils should assess and grant minor variations
- recommended council systems and processes for dealing with minor variations.
The guidance is not intended for homeowner applicants, as it assumes a knowledge and understanding of the Building Act 2004 (the Act) and its requirements that most homeowner applicants will not have.