Fire performance of external wall cladding systems - Revision 2:2020
- Fire performance of external wall cladding systems
- Rev 2:2020
- Valid from
- Information provider
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Information type
This guide discusses how external wall cladding systems can be tested to determine their fire performance. This information will help industry to demonstrate compliance with the requirements of the New Zealand Building Code.
This document has been prepared to provide guidance:
- On how the fire test criteria should be applied to external wall cladding systems.
- To support the industry stakeholders in determining NZBC compliance for external wall cladding systems.
This guidance is intended to:
- make it clear what constitutes an external wall cladding system for testing external vertical fire spread and assessing performance against the New Zealand Building Code requirements
- describe the suite of fire testing protocols that could be applied to demonstrate compliance with the Building Code
- scope the parameters that need to be considered when addressing external vertical fire spread.
The guidance does not intend to provide a fire-engineered design solution for individual construction details but covers broad principles requiring consideration in their development.