BU659 Upgrading the Thermal Performance of Timber windows
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BRANZ Bulletin
- PDF, Hard copy
This bulletin describes approaches for upgrading thermal performance including reducing air infiltration, replacing ordinary single glazing and retrofitting insulating glass units (IGUs).
Around a million houses in New Zealand have timber-framed windows, most with single glazing. These windows can have problems with draughts, poor thermal performance and poor solar control.
The bulletin covers:
- Considerations for upgrading thermal performance
- Glass options
- Insulating glass units (IGUS)
- Reducing drafts around windows
- Retrofitting IGUS into existing timber sashes
- Retrofitting double-glazed UPVC or Aluminium windows