BU633 Removing paint coatings
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BRANZ Bulletin
- PDF, Hard copy
Regular maintenance will extend the life of an exterior paint finish, but it will not prevent long-term deterioration.
Repainting should be carried out before the paint begins to deteriorate, particularly for timber substrates.
This bulletin describes the options for exterior paint removal.
This bulletin covers:
- When to repaint
- Assessing existing paint conditions
- Overview of paint removal methods
- Application of heat to remove paint
- Chemical strippers
- Waterblasting and steam cleaning
- Removing lead-based paint
- Health and safety