AS/NZS 3012:2019 Electrical installations - Construction and demolition sites
- AS/NZS 3012:2019
- Valid from
- Information provider
- Standards New Zealand
- Standards New Zealand, Standards Australia
- Information type
- New Zealand Standard
This Standard establishes sound practices for the safe use of electricity at construction and demolition sites. It is to be used in conjunction with AS/NZS 3000, Electrical installations (known as the Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules).
This Standard sets out minimum requirements for the design, construction and testing of electrical installations which supply electricity to appliances and equipment on construction and demolition sites, and for the in-service testing of portable, relocatable and fixed electrical equipment used on construction and demolition sites. For a single domestic residence intended to be occupied as a residential housing unit, or, adjoining units each with a separate exterior entry and intended to be occupied as residential housing units, the requirements of this Standard are varied as detailed in Appendix B.
The requirements are intended to protect persons, livestock and property from electric shock, fire and physical injury hazards that may arise from an electrical installation that is used with reasonable care and with due regard to the intended purpose of the electrical installation.
This Standard applies to electrical installations associated with construction and demolition sites which include
- (a) building work, excavation work, compressed air work and diving work;
- (b) parts of buildings which undergo structural alterations, such as extensions, major repairs or demolition, to the extent that the work necessitates the provision of a temporary electrical installation;
- (c) work on or in connection with the construction or maintenance of roads, airfields or airstrips, civil engineering works or bridges, or of the permanent way of a railway or tramway;
- (d) dredging or salvaging work;
- (e) the laying, lining or maintenance of pipes or cables;
- (f) earthmoving work carried out with equipment requiring the use of other than manual power;
- (g) any work in which explosives are used;
- (h) site offices, cloakrooms, meeting rooms, dormitories, canteens, toilets, appliances and other facilities provided during any work referred to in (a) to (g); and
- (i) land clearing in preparation for any work referred to in (a) to (g).