Caviteclad Exterior Insulation and Finishing System
- Appraisal number 510 (2019)
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BRANZ Appraisal
Caviteclad Exterior Insulation and Finishing System (EIFS) is a cavity-based external wall cladding system for residential and light commercial type buildings where domestic construction techniques are used.
The system consists of either 50 mm (Caviteclad) expanded polystyrene (EPS) sheets, thermoset phenolic foam sheets or extruded polystyrene (XPS) sheets , or 75 mm (Thermashell) EPS sheets. These are fixed over polystyrene battens to form a cavity. The coating system consists of a 3-4 mm thickness of fibreglass mesh reinforced base coat plaster, followed by the application of 1-2 mm thick finishing plaster, which is then finished with an exterior paint system.
The system incorporates a primary and secondary means of weather resistance (first and second line of defence) against water penetration by separating the cladding from the external wall framing with a nominal 20 mm drained cavity.
1. Caviteclad has been appraised as an external wall cladding system for buildings within the following scope:
- the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Paragraph 1.1; and,
- constructed with timber framing complying with the NZBC; and,
- with a risk score of 0-20, calculated in accordance with NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Table 2; and,
- situated in NZS 3604 Wind Zones up to, and including, Extra High.
2. Caviteclad has also been appraised for weathertightness and structural wind loading when used as an external wall cladding system for buildings within the following scope:
- the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Paragraph 1.1 with regards to building height and floor plan area; and,
- constructed with timber or steel framing complying with the NZBC; and,
- situated in areas of specific design wind pressures up to a maximum design differential ultimate limit state (ULS) of 2.5 kPa.
3. Caviteclad must only be installed on vertical surfaces except for tops of parapets, sills and balustrades, which must have a minimum 10º slope and be waterproofed in accordance with the Technical Literature.
4. The system has been appraised for use with aluminium window and door joinery that is installed with vertical jambs and horizontal heads and sills. (Note: The Appraisal of Caviteclad relies on the joinery meeting the requirements of NZS 4211 for the relevant Wind Zone or wind pressure.) The system may also be used with uPVC window and door joinery systems that hold a current BRANZ Appraisal for use with residential type construction.
5. Installation of components and accessories supplied by Specialized Construction Products, its certified distributors and certified plasterers must be carried out only by Specialized Construction Products certified plasterers.