NZSIP Smart Panel Building System
- Appraisal number 1203 (2021)
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BRANZ Appraisal
NZSIP Smart Panel Building System is a house building system based on structural insulated panels (SIPs) which are used for walls and roofs. The design and construction of the remainder of the building structure, comprising foundation, ground and upper floor, interior walls and roof framing, are conventional. Wall and roof cladding are conventional and fixed to timber battens or purlins attached to the panels. Joinery and internal finishing are also conventional.
NZSIP Smart Panels are manufactured of Strandboard® facings with a factory foamed polyurethane insulation (PUR) core. The panels are 115, 165 or 215 mm thick, nominally 1,205 mm wide, with standard lengths up to 3.6 m. Panels can also be manufactured to varying lengths and widths depending on their design location.
1. The NZSIP Smart Panel Building System has been appraised for use in single unit (detached) housing, which meets the scope of Clause 1.1.2 of NZS 3604 with the following limitations:
- buildings must be single or two-storeys, with a height restriction of up to 10 m; and,
- detached housing 1 m or more from the relevant boundary; and,
- the ground floor construction platform must comprise a concrete slab-on-ground constructed in accordance with NZS 3604, or a suspended timber-framed floor constructed in accordance with NZS 3604; and,
- the first (upper) floor is a suspended timber floor constructed in accordance with NZS 3604; and,
- the first floor live load does not exceed 1.5 kPa; and,
- where roof framing construction comprises of trusses or rafters which meet the provisions of NZS 3604; and/or,
- where the roof is constructed using NZSIP Smart Panels supported on beams, these must be subject to specific engineering design (SED); and,
- with a roof pitch between 3° and 30˚; and,
- roof and wall claddings must comply with NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 or a current BRANZ
2. This Appraisal covers the assembly of the external walls and roof using the NZSIP Smart Panel Building System with the following connections:
- Wall panel to concrete slab foundation or light timber frame ground floor, bottom plate fixing.
- Wall panel to first floor panel bottom and top plate fixing.
- Roof panel to wall and supporting structures.
- Wall batten and roof purlin attachment.
3. The use of NZSIP Smart Panel Building System wall and ceiling panels in the following situations
have not been assessed and are outside the scope of this Appraisal.
- Sauna rooms and the like, where they may be exposed to sustained high humidity (greater than 85% relative humidity (RH)) or liquid water.
- Where temperatures are in excess of 35ºC over large areas for prolonged periods (e.g. ceiling heating installations) or in excess of 50ºC in localised areas (e.g. the area adjacent to a fuel burning appliance), refer to Paragraph 11.1.