Durapanel Structural Panel System
- Appraisal number 1202 (2021)
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BRANZ Appraisal
The Durapanel Structural Panel System is a structural wall and ceiling panel system for use in the construction of Durapanel houses. All other aspects of the design and construction of the Durapanel houses, such as foundations, floors, roofs, joinery, cladding, services and interior finishings are conventional.
Durapanel wall panels are 36 mm thick, and Durapanel ceiling panels are 18 mm thick. Durapanels are manufactured to consist of a strand board core flanked by two outer layers of fibreboard.
Wall and ceiling panels are factory cut to shape and size, including window and door openings, by Durapanel Limited. All panel surfaces and exposed edges are pre-painted by Durapanel Limited, prior to delivery to site.
On site, the wall panels are connected by specified structural connectors to a ground floor platform of either concrete slab-on-ground, or suspended timber-framed floor. The exterior wall panels are strengthened externally by vertical battens, and the lintels can be strengthened either with a double thickness of Durapanel or conventional timber lintels.
For two-storey houses, the mid-floor construction is of standard timber framing and the upper floor wall panels are connected to the floor.
Ceiling panels are installed over the wall panels and roof trusses are fixed over the ceiling panels. Conventional ceiling systems may also be used. The building is then completed using conventional construction.
1. The Durapanel Structural Panel System has been appraised for use in single unit (detached) Risk Group SH housing, which meets the scope of Clause 1.1.2 of NZS 3604 with the following limitations:
- buildings must be single or two-storey; and,
- in NZS 3604 Wind Zones up to, and including, Extra High; and,
- in all NZS 3604 Earthquake Zones; and,
- the ground floor construction platform must comprise of a concrete slab-on-ground or a suspended timber-framed floor constructed in accordance with NZS 3604; and,
- the first (upper) floor is a suspended timber floor constructed in accordance with NZS 3604; and,
- the first floor live load does not exceed 1.5 kPa; and,
- roof construction must comprise of trusses or roof framing in accordance with NZS 3604; and,
- roof pitches must not exceed 35°, nor be less than 3°; and,
- Durapanel ceiling panel diaphragms must not exceed 8 m in length.
2. This Appraisal does not cover the general or wet area finishing to walls or ceilings.
3. The use of Durapanel wall and ceiling panels in the following situations has not been assessed and is outside the scope of this Appraisal:
- sauna rooms and the like, where they may be exposed to sustained high humidity (greater than 95% relative humidity (RH)) or liquid water.
- where temperatures are in excess of 35°C over large areas for prolonged periods (e.g. ceiling heating installations) or in excess of 50°C in localised areas (e.g. the area adjacent to a fuel burning appliance - refer to Paragraph 11.1).
- in skillion roofs.
4. Durapanel Structural Panel System must be installed by trained installers, approved by Durapanel Limited.