Going up and down - Build 169(2018)
- Going up and down
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BUILD article
- HTML, PDF, Hard copy
As buildings get taller, requirements change to include mechanical access and egress equipment, such as escalators and lifts. We have a look at the Building Code and standards to see what is required and when.
As an Industry, we have the knowledge and techniques to build very tall buildings. We take it for granted that these will be designed with the required numbers of escalators and lifts to get the occupants in and out as safely, efficiently and quickly as possible.
This article includes:
- Mid-rise access and egress
- Taller building access and egress
- Clause D1 say when lifts are needed
- Acceptable Solutions for installation
- In the event of fire
- NZS 4121:2001 requirements differ
- Lift design and installation
- What has been amended in the updated standards?
- Changes for designers