Consultation on amending Acceptable Solutions and Verification Methods June 2019 - BC Update 246
- BC Update 246 - Consultation on amending AS and VM - June 2019
- Valid from
- Information provider
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Information type
Consultation is now open on proposed updates to Acceptable Solutions and Verification Methods, and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) would like to hear your views.
The June 2019 update is the second public consultation under the new biannual Building Code update programme. The changes proposed are overall larger and more significant than the November 2018 update.
MBIE is actively making changes to support more densified housing solutions and the Healthy Homes requirements, while continuing to keep our Building Code documents up to date.
Your feedback and advice is important as it will help us shape the Building Code to support safe and durable housing. Consultation runs from 11 March until 5 April 2019.
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) seeks your views on proposals to amend the following Acceptable Solutions and Verification Methods relating to Building Code clauses B1 Structure, B2 Durability, E2 External moisture, G4 Ventilation, G12 Water supplies and G13 Foul water:
- B1/VM1, B1/AS1
- G12/VM1, G12/AS1, G12/AS2
- G13/AS1, G13/VM2, G13/AS2, G13/AS3.
The most significant proposals are:
- introducing a means of testing claddings up to 25 metres in height
- requiring mechanical ventilation in certain areas in housing
- a non-specific design standard for light steel framing in low-rise buildings
- revoking Simple House Acceptable Solution and incorporating its information on expansive soils into Acceptable Solution B1/AS1.
View the full proposals and information on how to provide feedback on the MBIE website