Symonite Cladding System
- Appraisal number 528
- 5 September 2018
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BRANZ Appraisal
The Symonite Cladding System is a drained and ventilated external wall cladding for specific design buildings of timber frame or timber frame infill construction. The system incorporates fabricated cladding panels manufactured from Reynobond® FR, Alucobond® Plus, Alpolic®/fr or Reynodual® panels.
Reynobond® FR, Alucobond® Plus, Alpolic®/fr aluminium composite sheets come in thicknesses of 4 mm and have their edges folded to create a deeper cladding panel. A wide variety of colour options are available for the panels.
Reynodual® is a coil-coated double sheet aluminium panel consisting of two aluminium sheets bonded together with a total thickness of 3 mm.
The system incorporates a primary and secondary means of weather resistance (first and second line of defence) against water penetration by separating the cladding from the supporting timber framing with a nominal 20 mm cavity. The cavity allows for any occasional ingress of water that may get past the external skin to drain to the exterior of the building, and any remaining moisture to dry by evaporation.
The Symonite Cladding System has been appraised for use as a drained and ventilated external wall cladding for buildings within the following scope:
- buildings of importance level 1 to 5 as described by AS/NZS 1170, except that housing and communal residential buildings that fall within the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Paragraph 1.1 are excluded; and,
- constructed with timber framing, or timber framing infill complying with the NZBC; and,
- subjected to maximum wind pressures for weathertightness design of 2.5 kPa Ultimate Limit State (ULS); and,
- where the cavity is drained and ventilated at least at every second floor level or 10 m height, whichever is the lesser, and
- where the cladding incorporates Reynobond® FR, Alucobond® Plus, Alpolic®/fr panels, it is located 1 m or more from the relevant boundary (refer Paragraphs 12.1 and 12.2)
All buildings incorporating the Symonite Cladding System must be subject to specific structural engineering, fire and weathertightness design. Building designers are responsible for the incorporation of the Symonite Cladding System into their design in accordance with the instructions of Symonite Panels Limited, using the details given in the Technical Literature, and for designing all details not covered by this Appraisal.
The installation of the Symonite Cladding System is to be carried out by people trained by Symonite Panels Limited specifically for the task.
Window and door joinery installations in the Symonite Cladding System must be subject to specific weathertightness design. Building designers are responsible for verifying the performance of the joinery installation details. (The Appraisal of the Symonite Cladding System relies on the joinery being the subject of specific engineering design with regards to wind load and deflection for the design wind pressure.)