NZSIP Smart Panel Building System
- Appraisal number 1032
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BRANZ Appraisal
NZSIP Smart Panel Building System is a house building system based on structural insulated panels (SIPs) which are used for walls and roof. The design and construction of the remainder of the building structure, comprising foundation, ground and upper floor, interior walls and roof framing are conventional. Wall and roof cladding are conventional and fixed to timber battens or purlins attached to the panels. Joinery and internal finishing are also conventional.
NZSIP Smart Panels are manufactured of oriented strand board (OSB) facings with a factory foamed polyurethane insulation (PUR) core. The panels are 115, 165 and 215 mm thick, nominally 1205 mm wide with standard lengths up to 3.6 m. Panels are also manufactured to varying lengths and widths depending on the design location of the panel.
The NZSIP Smart Panel Building System has been appraised for use in single unit (detached) housing, which meets the scope of Clause 1.1.2 of NZS 3604 with the following limitations:
- buildings must be single or two storey with a height restriction up to 10m, and
- detached housing 1m or more from the relevant boundary, and
- the ground floor construction platform must compromise of a concrete slab-on-ground constructed in accordance with NZS 3604, or suspended timber framed floor constructed in accordance with 3604; and,
- the first (upper) floor is a suspended timber floor constructed in accordance with NZS 3604; and,
- the first-floor live load does not exceed 1.5 kPa; and,
- where roof framing construction comprises of trusses or rafters which meet the provisions of NZS 3604; and/or,
- where the roof is constructed using NZSIP Smart Panel's supported on beams these must be subject to specific engineering design, (SED), and,
- with a roof pitch between 3o and 30o; and,
- roof and wall claddings must comply with NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 or a current BRANZ Appraised system.
This Appraisal covers the assembly of the external walls and roof using the Smart Panel Building System with the following connections:
- Wall panel to concrete slab fundation of light timber frame ground floor, bottom plate fixing.
- Wall panel to first floor panel bottom and top plate fixing.
- Roof panel to wall and supporting structures.
- Wall batten and roof purlin attachment.
The use of NZSIP Smart Panel Building System wall and ceiling panels in the following situations have not been assessed and are outside the scope of this Appraisal:
- Sauna rooms and the like where they may be exposed to sustained high humidity (greater than 85% RH) of liquid water.
- Where temperatures are in excess of 35oC over large areas for prolonged periods (e.g. ceiling heating installations) of in excess of 50oC in localised areas (e.g. the area adjacent to a fuel burning appliance. (See Paragraph 11.1).