Managing geotechnical risk - Build 179 (2020)
- Managing geotechnical risk
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BUILD article
- Website, PDF
Ground conditions are a factor in building developments and must be assessed for any potential risk. To identify, mitigate and avoid problems, it makes good sense to hire a geotechnical professional for advice on site selection and development.
It is critical to any building development, whether an addition to an existing house, a new house build or a multi-storey building, to consider the ground conditions of the site and any risks they may present.
This article includes:
- Ground conditions influence site selection
- Risky ground conditions
- Expansive soils
- Peats and organics
- Settling ground dragging down piles
- Ground settling around piles
- Slope instability and creep
- Other geohazards
- Project stages and ground conditions
- Who are geotechnical professionals?
- Sources for geotechnical advice