Designing houses with unevenly distributed bracing - Build 183 (2021)
- Designing houses with unevenly distributed bracing
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BUILD article
- Website, PDF
While the bracing requirements in NZS 3604:2011 Timber-framed buildings suit most buildings, the distribution rules of clause 5.4.7 are too lenient for some complex designs.
During earthquakes, some Building Code-compliant buildings may move or flex, causing extensive damage.
BRANZ research found which buildings are affected and suggests changes.
This article includes:
- Irregular bracing can cause problems
- Damage to Christchurch houses varied
- BRANZ found underperforming houses
- NZS 3604:2011 bracing too lenient
- Changes needed to bracing distribution
- More information