Compatibility of aluminium and steel - Build 176 (2020)
- Compatibility of aluminium and steel - Build 176 (2020)
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BUILD article
- Website, PDF
Building materials are often paired – think of wood and metal – but this is not always trouble-free. In particular, when aluminium and stainless steel are used together, there may be corrosion problems.
Materials, such as: concretes, metals, polymers and timbers used in the construction industry are frequently mixed to deliver desirable aesthetic, structural and weather-tightness functionalities.
This article includes the following chapters:
- Mixing materials matters
- Concerns when aluminium and stainless steel paired
- What happens and why?
- Other factors also matter
- Where the two can be used safely
- Where they cannot be used safely
- Preventing galvanic corrosion
- Available guidance