Built-up members in place of solid timber - Issue 87
- Built-up members in place of solid timber
- Valid from
- Information provider
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Information type
- CodeWords article
NZS 3604:2011 lets some solid timber members be replaced by built-up members. This article looks at how to do this correctly.
A built-up member is two or more component members used to make one larger member.
A few rules need to be followed when using built-up members. The built-up members must:
- be the same grade of timber
- be in one continuous length
- match or exceed the size of the solid member required in accordance with NZS 3604:2011 Timber-framed buildings.