MPT Meshclad - Cavity System
- Appraisal number 445
- 23 July 2019
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BRANZ Appraisal
The MPT Meshclad - Cavity System is a cavity-based Exterior Insulation and Finishing System (EIFS) wall cladding. It is designed to be used as an external wall cladding system for residential and light commercial type buildings where domestic construction techniques are used.
The system consists of expanded polystyrene (EPS) sheets fixed over polystyrene battens to form the cavity. The coating system consists of 5-10 mm thickness of fibreglass mesh reinforced plaster, which is finished with the MPT Earthtone Elastomeric Paint System. The plaster finish can be applied to give different texture appearances.
The system incorporates a primary and secondary means of weather resistance (first and second line of defence) against water penetration by separating the cladding from the external wall framing with a nominal 20 mm drained cavity.
The MPT Meshclad - Cavity System has been appraised as an external wall cladding system for buildings within the following scope:
- the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Paragraph 1.1; and,
- with a risk score of 0-20, calculated in accordance with NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Table 2; and,
- situated in NZS 3604 Wind Zones up to, and including Extra High.
The MPT Meshclad - Cavity System has also been appraised as an external wall cladding system for weathertightness and structural wind loading when used as an external wall cladding system for buildings within the following scope:
- the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Paragraph 1.1 with regards to building height and floor plan area; and,
- constructed with timber or steel framing subject to specific engineering design; and,
- situated in specific design wind pressures up to a maximum design differential ultimate limit state (ULS) of 2.5 kPa.
The MPT Meshclad - Cavity System must only be installed on vertical surfaces (except for tops of parapets, sills and balustrades, which must have a minimum 15° slope and be waterproofed in accordance with the Technical Literature).
The system is appraised for use with aluminium window and door joinery that is installed with vertical jambs and horizontal heads and sills. (Note: The Appraisal of the MPT Meshclad - Cavity System relies on the joinery meeting the requirements of NZS 4211 for the relevant Wind Zone or wind pressure.)
Installation of components and accessories supplied by Petros Holdings Ltd and approved applicators must be carried out only by Petros Holdings Ltd approved applicators.