- Appraisal number 364
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BRANZ Appraisal
The Metrapanel System is a house building system based on Metrapanel wall, floor and ceiling panels. The design and construction of the remainder of the building, comprising foundation, flooring, roof, joinery and claddings is conventional.
Moisture resistant (MR) 36 mm thick medium density particleboard is used for Metrapanel wall panels, and 25 mm thick, fine surface, MR particleboard is used for Metrapanel ceiling and floor panels.
External walls have vertical timber battens attached to the exterior face of the Metrapanel wall panels that act as stiffeners. Lintels are also constructed from Metrapanel wall panels, and strengthened depending on the spans by means of additional timber beams or with steel plates to form flitch beams.
The ground floor, first floor and the roof are of conventional construction. Structural connections are made with nails, screws and various proprietary hardware.
After erection, Metrapanel wall panels have an internal finish system applied, such as paint or wall paper, and conventional external cladding systems are fixed to the battens.
The Metrapanel System has been appraised for single unit (detached) housing which meets the scope of Clause 1.1.2 of NZS 3604 with the following limitations:
- buildings must be single or two storey; and,
- the ground floor construction platform must comprise of a concrete slab on ground constructed in accordance with NZS 3604, or a suspended timber framed floor supported on a concrete wall or piled foundation constructed in accordance with NZS 3604; and,
- the first (upper) floor is a suspended timber floor constructed in accordance with NZS 3604; and,
- the first floor live load does not exceed 1.5 kPa; and,
- roof construction comprises trusses and roof framing which meet the provisions of NZS 3604; and,
- roof and wall claddings must be one specified in NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 or a current BRANZ Appraised system; and,
- roof pitches must be greater than 5 but not exceed 30.
Metrapanel ceiling panel diaphragms can be up to 12m long.
This Appraisal covers buildings in all Wind Zones up to and including Very High.
This Appraisal covers internal walls; external walls up to the cladding line; ceilings up to the supporting frame and the following connections:
- Wall panel to floor. Wall panel to ceiling panel.
- Timber battens to wall panel.
- Ceiling panel to roof framing.
The foundation, floor, roof building underlay, insulation and general and wet area finishing to walls are not covered by this Appraisal.
The use of Metrapanel wall and ceiling panels in the following situations has not been assessed and is outside the scope of this Appraisal:
- Sauna rooms and the like where they may be exposed to sustained high humidities (greater than 85% RH) or liquid water.
- Where temperatures are in excess of 35 degrees celsius over large areas for prolonged periods (e.g. ceiling heating installations) or in excess of 50 degrees celsius in localised areas (e.g. the area adjacent to a fuel burning applicance. (See Paragraph 11.1)