Simpson Strong-Tie Weatherboard Screws
- Appraisal number 1044 (2019)
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BRANZ Appraisal
Simpson Strong-Tie Weatherboard Screws are a range of stainless steel screws for use to affix timber weatherboards to timber framing. They are available in various sizes and either 305 or 316 grades of stainless steel.
Simpson Strong-Tie Weatherboard Screws feature self-drilling tips, box threads and a proprietary trim-head profile. All screws in the range are driven using a #2 square driver bit and are collated for use with the Simpson Strong-Tie Quik-Drive auto-feed screwdriving system.
Simpson Strong-Tie Weatherboard Screws have been appraised for use as weatherboard fixings on timber framed buildings, where the weaterboards meet the following specification:
- Weatherboards shall be manufactured from Radiata Pine - preservative treated in accordance with NZS 3602; and
- Weatherboards profiles shall be in accordance with E2/AS1 paragraph 220.127.116.11 (compliant with NZS 3617 or BRANZ Bulletin 411), which includes the following board profiles:
- bevel back (rebated and plain);
- board and batten; and
- Weatherboards shall be installed over a 20 mm drained and vented cavity of derectly fixed to the wall framing (as determined by E2/AS1 risk matrix score or wind zone), complying with NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1; and
- Situated in NZS 3604 Wind Zones, up to and including Extra High.
NOTE: Substitution of Simpson Strong-Tie Weatherboard Screws for use as alternatives to fixings specified within proprietary cladding systems has not been assessed by BRANZ and is outside the scope of the Appraisal.
In all instances, permission must be obtained from the cladding proprietor for any proposed substitutions prior to commencing installation.