2015/006: The code compliance of, and whether consent was required for, a 1.0m high retaining wall adjacent the boundary
- Valid from
- Information provider
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Information type
This determination arises from the construction of a retaining wall as part of works carried out to construct a minor household dwelling. The issue arose because:
- a) the retaining wall was not included in the consented building work and the authority now requires the building consent be amended to include the retaining wall, and
- b) the authority is not satisfied that the building work complies with certain clauses of the Building Code, in particular in regard to the surcharge.
The matters to be determined are:
- Whether the retaining wall as constructed complies with the relevant Clauses of the Building Code;
- Whether the authority was correct in the exercise of its powers of decision in requiring the building consent be amended to include the retaining wall.