Consultation on Building Code updates June 2020 - now open
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) will be seeking the sector’s views on a number of amendments to the Building Code as part of the biannual Building Code update programme.
The current focus of the Building Code update programme is to support densified housing.
Summary of changes
C Protection from Fire
- C/AS1 and C/AS2 – Clarify the scope of risk group SH (residential housing) between the two documents
- C/AS2 and C/VM2 –Amend fire testing requirements for cladding systems to reference large scale international test standards as a means of demonstrating compliance
- C/AS2 – Clarify and make the application of the document more consistent for means of escape, group sleeping areas, control of external fire spread and firefighting.
- C/VM2 – Amend design scenarios HS ‘Horizontal fire spread’ and VS ‘External vertical fire spread’ by changing the cladding requirements
E1 Surface Water
- E1/AS2 – Issue a new Acceptable Solution referencing AS/NZS 3500.3:2018 Stormwater drainage as a means of compliance with NZBC clause E1 Surface Water (with modifications).
- E1/AS1 – Amend E1/AS1 Appendix A to replace the rainfall intensity maps with a table that provides current location specific rainfall intensity data for ~250 NZ towns and cities.
E2 External Moisture
- E2/AS1 – Minor amendments to existing references within Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 to support the introduction of Acceptable Solution E1/AS2 (E1 Surface Water reference updates)
E3 Internal Moisture
- E3/AS2 and E3/AS1 – Issue a new Acceptable Solution for internal wet area membranes and tiled showers referencing the Waterproofing Membrane Association code of practice for Internal Wet-area Membrane Systems. This is supported by amendments to E3/AS1.
- E3/AS1 – Provide additional options to manage overflow risks in kitchens and laundries in adjoined household units.
- G9/VM1 and G9/AS1 – Align G9/VM1 and G9/AS1 with WorkSafe requirements by referencing the Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010
- G9/AS1 – Align requirements for accessibility with NZS4121:2001
G13 Foul Water
- G13/AS3 – Modify two additional clauses within AS/NZS 3500.2:2018 Sanitary plumbing and drainage to reflect the intent of figure 4.9.1 (a) 45° Junction at grade.
If you would like to find out more about the proposed amendments or how to make a submission, please visit the MBIE website.
The consultation period: 17 February 2020 - 17 April 2020, 4 pm.
Notification date: 17 February 2020