Practice Advisory 14: Long span steel roof trusses - welding and section checks
- Valid from
- Information provider
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Information type
- Section 175 guidance
This Practice Advisory was issued in response to concerns about the collapse of the Stadium Southland roof in Invercargill during a snow storm on 18 September 2010. It provides guidance for owners, territorial authorities and practising structural engineers.
This Practice Advisory is to:
- alert building owners to the issues that the report has identified with this long span truss steel construction
- provide advice to building owners to enable them to instruct Chartered Professional Engineers to review their buildings
- alert practising structural engineers assessing existing long span roof trusses in buildings throughout New Zealand
- provide advice to territorial authorities.
It applies to all existing buildings throughout New Zealand:
- that have long span roof trusses (over 20 metres) fabricated from welded closed steel hollow sections such as circular and rectangular tubes
- and to which members of the public have access.