Consultation on proposal for new edition of Fire Acceptable Solution C/AS2 - BC Update 238
- BC Update 238 - Consultation on proposal for new edition for Fire Acceptable Solution C/AS2.
- Valid from
- Information provider
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Information type
MBIE is seeking your feedback on a proposal to publish a new edition of Acceptable Solution (C/AS2) – a merger of the six separate Fire Acceptable Solution documents (C/AS2-7).
The proposed C/AS2 amends a number of omissions and inconsistencies following stakeholder engagement in recent years on the draft edition of the new Acceptable Solution.
The consultation is a major piece of work focusing on Building Code clause C – Protection from Fire that requires targeted engagement with stakeholders who have previously contributed. Any changes as a result of the consultation will come into effect with the bi-annual Building Code system update scheduled for June 2019.
In particular, three technical issues have been identified and included in the proposed C/AS2 Acceptable Solution as changes to performance settings:
- adjusting the setting to prevent buildings within 1m of the boundary being constructed with no fire separations (eg all glass facades located on the property boundary)
- removing “capable of storage consideration” and replacing it with a metric as per the settings prior to 2012
- simplifying the content in C/AS2 by referencing D1/AS1 (Acceptable Solution for access routes) rather than repeating the content from D/AS1.