StoPoren Panel Cladding System
- Appraisal number 772
- 11 November 2015
- Valid from
- Information provider
- BRANZ Limited
- Information type
- BRANZ Appraisal
The StoPoren Panel Cladding System is a cavity-based external wall cladding system for residential and light commercial type buildings where domestic construction techniques are used.
The system consists of autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) panels (StoPoren panels) fixed over high density polystyrene battens to form a 20 or 40 mm cavity, or timber cavity spacers to form a 40 mm cavity. The coating system consists of a minimum 5 mm thickness of fibreglass mesh reinforced synthetic resin plasters and synthetic resin finishing plasters applied to the Poren panels. The plaster system is finished with Sto exterior paint system. The top coat plasters can be textured to give different finished appearances.
The system incorporates a primary and secondary means of weather resistance (first and second line of defence) against water penetration by separating the cladding from the external wall framing with a nominal 20 or 40 mm drained cavity.
The StoPoren Panel Cladding System has been appraised as an external wall cladding system for buildings within the following scope:
- the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Paragraph 1.1; and,
- constructed with timber framing complying with the NZBC; and,
- with a risk score of 0-20, calculated in accordance with NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Table 2; and,
- situated in NZS 3604 Wind Zones up to, and including 'Extra High'.
The StoPoren Panel Cladding System has also been appraised for weathertightness and structural wind loading when used as an external wall cladding for buildings within the following scope:
- the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Paragraph 1.1 with regards to building height and floor plan area; and,
- constructed with timber and steel framing complying with the NZBC; and,
- situated in specific design wind pressures up to a maximum design differential ultimate limit state (ULS) of 2.5 kPa.
The StoPoren Panel Cladding System must only be installed on vertical surfaces (except for tops of parapets, sills and balustrades, which must have a minimum 10 slope and be waterproofed in accordance with the Technical Literature).
The system is appraised for use with aluminium window and door joinery that is installed with vertical jambs and horizontal heads and sills. (The Appraisal of the StoPoren Panel Cladding System relies on the joinery meeting the requirements of NZS 4211 for the relevant Wind Zone or design wind pressure.)