2015/069: Regarding the compliance of new and replacement timber windows to a 132 year-old house
- Valid from
- Information provider
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Information type
The application for this determination arises because:
- the authority issued a building consent for alterations to an existing house that included the installation of new windows and doors;
- the approved consent drawings showed metal sill flashings to windows and doors but these were not installed;
- the authority inspected the completed installation and was not satisfied that the unflashed sills complied with certain clauses of the Building Code (Schedule 1, Building Regulations 1992), and metal sill flashings were retrofitted at the authority's suggestion;
- notwithstanding the authority's approval of the retrofitted sill flashings, the applicants are seeking confirmation of the compliance of these windows and doors.
The matter to be determined is therefore whether the retrofitted sills as installed to the consented joinery comply with Clause E2 External Moisture and Clause B2 Durability of the Building Code.